The granite outcrops of the Seychelles Islands in the central Indian Ocean were amongst the earliest examples cited by Alfred Wegener as evidence for his continental drift theory. Ridge–plume interactions have been responsible for separating a thinned continental sliver from a large continent (i.e. India).
The granites of the Seychelles microcontinent were emplaced 750 Ma, during the late Precambrian. Thermally-induced rifting in the Somali Basin and transform rifting along the Davie fracture zone began in the late Permian 225 million years ago, with Gondwana supercontinent beginning to break up in the mid-Jurassic (about 167 million years ago) when East Gondwana, comprising Antarctica, Madagascar, India, and Australia, began to separate from Africa; East Gondwana then began to separate about 115–120 million years ago when India began to move northward.
The Seychelles then underwent two more stages of rifting to isolate it from Madagascar and India. Between 84–95 million years ago rifting separated Seychelles/India from Madagascar. An initial period of transform rifting moved the Seychelles/India block northward. At 84 million years ago oceanic crust started to form in the Mascarene basin, causing a rotation of the Seychelles/India land mass. This continued until 66 million years ago when new rifting severed the Seychelles from India forming the currently active Carlsberg Ridge. The rift jump coincided with the maximum output of the Deccan traps, and volcanics found on the Seychelles Plateau have also been linked with this event. This has led to suggestions that the initiation of the Reunion plume caused rifting to jump to its current location.
As a reminder, article comments are only for discussions on how to improve the article. Please direct other comments to a user's talk page. Please be formal and do not use excessive uppercase. Please be advised you may receive an automatic block if you break the article comments policy. For information regarding what is acceptable/not acceptable in article comments, please message Joey (talk), Natalia (talk), ynoss (talk), or Daniel (older account/talk).
- Duncan, R. A.; Pyle, D. G. (1988). "Rapid eruption of the Deccan flood basalts at the Cretaceous/Tertiary boundary" (PDF). Nature 333 (6176): 841–843. doi:10.1038/333841a0. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232748489_Duncan_R.__Pyle_D._G._Rapid_eruption_of_the_Deccan_flood_basalts_at_the_Cretaceous-Tertiary_boundary._Nature_333_841-843. Retrieved December 2015.
- Gaina, C.; Müller, R. D.; Brown, B. J.; Ishihara, T. (2003). Microcontinent formation around Australia. Geological Society of America. doi:10.1130/0-8137-2372-8.405. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dietmar_Mueller/publication/234038992_Breakup_and_early_seafloor_spreading_between_India_and_Antarctica/links/09e4151379eda930d7000000.pdf. Retrieved December 2015.
- Miller, J. A.; Mudie, J. D. (1961). "Potassium-argon age determinations on granite from the island of Mahé in the Seychelles Archipelago". Nature 192: 1174–1175. doi:10.1038/1921174a0.
- Müller, R. D.; Gaina, C.; Roest, W. R.; Hansen, D. L. (2001). "A recipe for microcontinent formation". Geology 29 (3): 203-206. doi:10.1130/0091-7613(2001)029<0203:ARFMF>2.0.CO;2. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235762484_A_recipe_for_microcontinent_formation. Retrieved December 2015.
- Plummer, P. S.; Belle, E. R. (1995). "Mesozoic tectono-stratigraphic evolution of the Seychelles microcontinent". Sedimentary Geology 96 (1): 73-91. doi:10.1016/0037-0738(94)00127-G.
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1 at line 637: attempt to concatenate local 'chapter' (a table value).
- Tucker, R. D.; Ashwal, L. D.; Torsvik, T. H. (2001). "U–Pb geochronology of Seychelles granitoids: a Neoproterozoic continental arc fragment". Earth and Planetary Science Letters 187 (1): 27-38. doi:10.1016/S0012-821X(01)00282-5. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/LD_Ashwal/publication/252872623_UPb_geochronology_of_Seychelles_granitoids_a_Neoproterozoic_continental_arc_fragment/links/00463528de2507a147000000.pdf. Retrieved December 2015.
- Wasserburg, G. J.; Craig, H.; Menard, H. W.; Engel, A. E. J.; Engel, C. J. (1963). "Age and composition of a Bounty Islands granite and age of a Seychelles Islands granite". J. Geol. 71: 785–789. JSTOR 30062225.
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1 at line 886: bad argument #1 to 'sub' (string expected, got table).
Lua error in package.lua at line 95: loop or previous error loading module 'Module:Buffer'.