Kidney, with renal papilla labeled at upper right.
The renal papilla is the location where the renal pyramids in the medulla empty urine into the minor calyx in the kidney. Histologically it is marked by medullary collecting ducts converging to form a papillary duct to channel the fluid. Transitional epithelium begins to be seen.
Some chemicals toxic to the kidney, called nephrotoxins, damage the renal papillae. Damage to the renal papillae may result in death to cells in this region of the kidney, called renal papillary necrosis. The most common toxic causes of renal papillary necrosis are NSAIDs[dubious ], such as ibuprofen, acetylsalicylic acid, and phenylbutazone, in combination with dehydration. Perturbed renal papillary development has also been shown to be associated with onset of functional obstruction and renal fibrosis.
Renal papillary damage has also been associated with nephrolithiasis and can be quantified according to the papillary grading score, which accounts for contour, pitting, plugging and randall plaque.
- Wilkinson, L; Kurniawan, ND; Phua, YL; Nguyen, MJ; Li, J; Galloway, GJ; Hashitani, H; Lang, RJ et al. (August 2012). "Association between congenital defects in papillary outgrowth and functional obstruction in Crim1 mutant mice". The Journal of Pathology 227 (4): 499–510. doi:10.1002/path.4036. PMID 22488641.
- Phua, YL; Gilbert, T; Combes, A; Wilkinson, L; Little, MH (April 2016). "Neonatal vascularization and oxygen tension regulate appropriate perinatal renal medulla/papilla maturation". The Journal of Pathology 238 (5): 665–76. doi:10.1002/path.4690. PMID 26800422.
- Phua, YL; Martel, N; Pennisi, DJ; Little, MH; Wilkinson, L (April 2013). "Distinct sites of renal fibrosis in Crim1 mutant mice arise from multiple cellular origins". The Journal of Pathology 229 (5): 685–96. doi:10.1002/path.4155. PMID 23224993.
- Cohen, Andrew J.; Borofsky, Michael S.; Anderson, Blake B.; Dauw, Casey A.; Gillen, Daniel L.; Gerber, Glenn S.; Worcester, Elaine M.; Coe, Fredric L. et al. (2017). "Endoscopic Evidence That Randall's Plaque is Associated with Surface Erosion of the Renal Papilla". Journal of Endourology 31 (1): 85–90. doi:10.1089/end.2016.0537. ISSN 0892-7790. PMC 5220550. PMID 27824271. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=5220550.
As a reminder, article comments are only for discussions on how to improve the article. Please direct other comments to a user's talk page. Please be formal and do not use excessive uppercase. Please be advised you may receive an automatic block if you break the article comments policy. For information regarding what is acceptable/not acceptable in article comments, please message Joey (talk), Natalia (talk), ynoss (talk), or Daniel (older account/talk).
- Anatomy photo:40:06-0107 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "Posterior Abdominal Wall: Internal Structure of a Kidney"
- Histology image: 15901loa – Histology Learning System at Boston University - "Urinary System: neonatal kidney"
- posteriorabdomen at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University) (renalpelvis)
Lua error in package.lua at line 95: loop or previous error loading module 'Module:Buffer'.