Transverse section, showing the relations of the capsule of the kidney.
Sagittal section through posterior abdominal wall, showing the relations of the capsule of the kidney.
The renal fascia or Gerota's fascia is a layer of connective tissue encapsulating the kidneys and the adrenal glands. The renal fascia separates the adipose capsule of kidney from the overlying pararenal fat. The deeper layers below the renal fascia are, in order, the adipose capsule (or perirenal fat), the renal capsule and finally the parenchyma of the renal cortex. The spaces about the kidney are typically divided into three compartments: the perinephric space and the anterior and posterior pararenal spaces.
- Anterior attachment: Passes anterior to the kidney, renal vessels, abdominal aorta and inferior vena cava and fuses with the anterior layer of the renal fascia of the opposite kidney.
- Posterior attachment: Fuses with the psoas fascia and side of the body of the vertebrae.
- Superior attachment: The anterior and posterior layers fuse at the upper pole of the kidney and then split to enclose the adrenal gland. At the upper part of the adrenal gland, they again fuse to form the suspensory ligament of the adrenal gland and fuse with the diaphragmatic fascia.
- Inferior attachment: The layers don't fuse. The posterior layer descends downwards and fuses with the iliac fascia. The anterior layer blends with the connective tissue of the iliac fossa.
In front of the fascia anterior to the perinephric space (also known as Toldt's membrane) is the anterior pararenal space which contains the pancreas, ascending and descending colon, and second through fourth parts of the duodenum. The fascia posterior to the perinephric space was named Zuckerkandl's fascia. Posterior to this lies the posterior paranephric space which does not contain any abdominal organs.
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1 at line 925: attempt to concatenate local 'str' (a table value).
- Burkill G.J.C., Healy J.C. (2000). "Anatomy of the retroperitoneum". Imaging 12 (1): 10–20. doi:10.1259/img.12.1.120010. http://www.birpublications.org/doi/abs/10.1259/img.12.1.120010.
As a reminder, article comments are only for discussions on how to improve the article. Please direct other comments to a user's talk page. Please be formal and do not use excessive uppercase. Please be advised you may receive an automatic block if you break the article comments policy. For information regarding what is acceptable/not acceptable in article comments, please message Joey (talk), Natalia (talk), ynoss (talk), or Daniel (older account/talk).