|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||03h 33m 20.04s|
|Declination||+79° 34′ 51.8″|
|Distance||36.5 ± 4.2 kly (11,200 ± 1,300 pc)|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||+13.18|
|Apparent dimensions (V)||2′.8|
|Estimated age||6.3 to 8 Gyr|
|Other designations||LEDA 13165|
Palomar 1 is a globular cluster in the constellation Cepheus in the halo possibly in the Outer Arm of the Milky Way galaxy. First discovered by George O. Abell in 1954 on the Palomar Survey Sky plates, it was catalogued as a globular cluster. At 6.3 to 8 Gyr, it is a very young cluster when compared to the other globular clusters in the Milky Way. It is a relatively metal-rich globular with [Fe/H] = -0.60. It is likely that Palomar 1 has a similar evolutionary history to the Sagittarius dwarf companion globular Terzan 7, that is, it may have once been associated with a dwarf spheroidal galaxy that was later destroyed by tidal forces.
- Goldsbury, Ryan et al. (December 2010), "The ACS Survey of Galactic Globular Clusters. X. New Determinations of Centers for 65 Clusters", The Astronomical Journal 140 (6): 1830–1837, arXiv:1008.2755, Bibcode 2010AJ....140.1830G, doi:10.1088/0004-6256/140/6/1830.
- Rosenberg, A. et al. (1998), "Palomar 1 - Another young Galactic halo globular cluster", Astronomical Journal 115 (2): 648, arXiv:astro-ph/9710242, Bibcode 1998AJ....115..648R, doi:10.1086/300200.
- distance × sin( diameter_angle / 2 ) = 15 ly. radius
- "SIMBAD Astronomical Object Database", Results for Palomar 1, http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/Simbad, retrieved 2006-11-17.
- Abell, George O. (1955). "Globular Clusters and Planetary Nebulae Discovered on the National Geographic Society-Palomar Observatory Sky Survey". Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 67 (397): 258. Bibcode 1955PASP...67..258A. doi:10.1086/126815.
- van den Bergh, Sidney; Mackey, A. D. (2004). "Globular clusters and the formation of the outer Galactic halo". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 354 (3): 713–719. arXiv:astro-ph/0407346. Bibcode 2004MNRAS.354..713V. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2004.08228.x.
As a reminder, article comments are only for discussions on how to improve the article. Please direct other comments to a user's talk page. Please be formal and do not use excessive uppercase. Please be advised you may receive an automatic block if you break the article comments policy. For information regarding what is acceptable/not acceptable in article comments, please message Joey (talk), Natalia (talk), ynoss (talk), or Daniel (older account/talk).
- SEDS: Palomar 1
- Palomar 1 on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images
Lua error in package.lua at line 95: loop or previous error loading module 'Module:Buffer'.