|Messier 89 on DSS2 all sky survey.|
|Right ascension||12h 35m 39.8s|
|Declination||+12° 33′ 23″|
|Apparent dimension (V)||5.1 × 4.7 moa|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||10.73|
|Type||E, LINER, HIISy2|
|Heliocentric radial velocity||340 ± 4 km/s|
|Redshift||0.001134 ± 0.000014|
|Galactocentric velocity||290 ± 5 km/s|
|Distance||50 ± 3 Mly (15.33 ± 0.92 Mpc)|
|SIMBAD||Search M89 data
|See also: Galaxy, List of galaxies|
Messier 89 (M89 for short, also known as NGC 4552) is an elliptical galaxy in the constellation Virgo. It was discovered by Charles Messier on March 18 1781. M89 is a member of the Virgo Cluster of galaxies.
Current observations indicate that M89 may be nearly perfectly spherical in shape. This would be unusual as all other known elliptic galaxies are relatively elongated ellipsoids. However, it is possible that the galaxy is oriented in such a way that it appears spherical to an observer on Earth but is in fact elliptical.
The galaxy also features a surrounding structure of gas and dust extending up to 150,000 light-years from the galaxy and jets of heated particles that extend 100,000 light-years outwards, indications that it may have once been an active quasar or radio galaxy.
- Messier 89 on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images
- J. L. Tonry, A. Dressler, J. P. Blakeslee, E. A. Ajhar, A. B. Fletcher, G. A. Luppino, M. R. Metzger, C. B. Moore (2001). "The SBF Survey of Galaxy Distances. IV. SBF Magnitudes, Colors, and Distances". Astrophysical Journal 546 (2): 681–693. doi:10.1086/318301. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2001ApJ...546..681T.
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1 at line 379: attempt to call method 'match' (a nil value).
- Elliptical Galaxy M89 @ SEDS Messier pages
- Messier Objects 81-90 @ Sea and Sky
- Tamura, Naoyuki; Sharples, Ray M.; Arimoto, Nobuo; Onodera, Masato; Ohta, Kouji; Yamada, Yoshihiko (2006). "A Subaru/Suprime-Cam wide-field survey of globular cluster populations around M87 - I. Observation, data analysis and luminosity function". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society Online Early: 588. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2006.11067.x. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?doi=10.1111%2Fj.1365-2966.2006.11067.x.
As a reminder, article comments are only for discussions on how to improve the article. Please direct other comments to a user's talk page. Please be formal and do not use excessive uppercase. Please be advised you may receive an automatic block if you break the article comments policy. For information regarding what is acceptable/not acceptable in article comments, please message Joey (talk), ynoss (talk), or Nussun (talk).
zh-min-nan:Messier 89 be:Аб'ект Месье M89 bg:M89 ca:Messier 89 cs:Messier 89 co:M89 de:Messier 89 es:Galaxia elíptica M89 eo:M89 fa:مسیه ۸۹ fr:M89 ko:M89 (천체) hr:Messier 89 it:M89 (astronomia) lt:Mesjė 89 hu:Messier 89 nl:Messier 89 ja:M89 pl:Messier 89 ro:Messier 89 ru:Галактика M89 sk:Galaxia M89 fi:Messier 89 sv:M89 uk:NGC 4552 zh:M89 (橢圓星系)